wheel casemate gunboat was built by James B. Eads, Carondelet, Mo., for
the War Department. She was launched as St. Louis 12 October 1861 and joined
the Western Gunboat Fleet.
1862 St. Louis, under the command of Lieutenant L. Paulding, was attached
to Rear Admiral A. H. Foote's squadron and participated in the capture of
Fort Henry on the Tennessee River (6 February 1862). She served as flagship
for the squadron when it assisted the Union Army at the capture of Fort
Donelson on the Cumberland River (14-16 February 1862). Between April and
June 1862, she operated against Fort Pillow, Tenn. St. Louis was renamed
Baron De Kalb 8 September 1862. On 1 October 1862 Baron De Kalb was transferred
to the Navy Department. During 21-28 December she took part in the Yazoo
Expedition and participated in the action at Drumgould's Bluff (28 December).
During 1868 Baron De Kalb took part in the capture of Arkansas Post (10-11 January); expedition up the White River (12-14 January); capture of the battery at Duvall's Bluff (16 January); Yazoo Pass Expedition (20 February-5 April); action at Fort Pemberton (11-18 March); action at Haines' Bluff (29 April-2 May, 18 May); action at Yazoo City, Miss. (20-23 May); and the Yazoo River Expedition (24-31 May).